The Marketplace of Bremen

The Marketplace of Bremen is a square situated in the centre of the Hanseatic City of BremenGermany.

One of the oldest public squares in the city, it covers an area of 3,484 m2 (37,500 sq ft).

It is no longer used as a market place except for the Christmas market and the annual Freimarkt Fair at the end of October.

The Bremen Roland symbolizes freedom and market rights and, together with the Bremen Town hall, has been part of the UNESCO World Heritage since 2004.

The Town Hall was built in the late Middle Ages.

The Facade was built in the 17th century in the Weser Renaissance style.

It is the only town hall in Europe that is still intact.

But the bronze Bremen Town Musicians on the west side of the Town Hall are the “secret” landmark of the Hanseatic City.

The bronze sculpture of the donkey, dog, cat and rooster from the fairy tale by the Brothers Grimm has been there since 1953.

The St.Petri Dom is also worth seeing. Nearby is Bremen`s oldest street , Langenstrasse.

The most beautiful edifice is the 16th century Stadtwaage (former weighing house).

Every trader had to weigh his goods on the public scales.

the-bremen-town-musicians-chocolate-figurine-the-marketplace-of-bremen